At Chavez Schools, scholars learn to be civic leaders committed to creating a more just, free, and equal world. They gain the knowledge, skills, and beliefs necessary to be change-agents in the 21st Century.
The goal of the Fellowship program is to offer scholars the opportunity to apply their academic skills and civic knowledge to the real world. Working in a public policy or service oriented office environment, scholars gain an understanding of the roles of these organizations in addressing a certain public issue. During the Fellowship, scholars acquire communicational and professional skills necessary to succeed in the public policy/social service field.
Chavez Fellows will intern at public interest and/or service-oriented organizations for 2.5 weeks. Fellows are unpaid, as students receive school credit to satisfy their graduation requirement. Supervisors at the host organizations play a critical role in achieving the program’s objectives.
PROJECTED TIMELINE FOR JUNE FELLOWSHIP 2018
*Indicates Fellowship events/activities that are recommended, but not required.
- October 2017 - January 2018: Chavez Students and Staff will communicate with host organizations to encourage them to serve as a Fellowship Host for June 2016.
- January 19, 2018: All interested Host Supervisors must complete and submit the online Fellowship Registration Form.
- February 9, 2018, Professionalism Day: Students will engage with volunteers from the community to receive feedback about their resume, practice interviewing, and develop networking skills.
- March 30, 2018: Students must complete all 3 interviews by this date. Credit is ONLY received by submitting the Thank-You email for each interview to your Public Policy Practicum Teacher.
- April 6, 2018, Interview Fair*: Students will have the opportunity to complete interviews with participating organizations.
- April 20, 2018: Students and Host Supervisors will be emailed information about the Final Placements.
- April 27, 2018, OnBoarding Day*: Students have the opportunity to complete their Orientation with their Final Placement organization.
- May 29th, 2018 - June 12th, 2018: Students will report to Fellowship full-time during this period, with Friday schedule being from 9 am to 12 pm.
- June 12th, 2018: Host Supervisors must submit their Supervisor Evaluation to their assigned Teacher Advisor via email and are welcome to participate in Fellowship Closing Ceremonies on June 13th, 2018 (at campuses).